[coreboot] Coreboot Hackathon

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jan 19 03:22:19 CET 2011

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > At LinuxTag there are usually more people interested in using
> > coreboot than developing, but there are exceptions, and it would be
> > great to invite those who are interested to the hackathon.
>
> We could ask for a hack room at LinuxTag. Maybe we'll even get one.
> If we have one person to man the booth, and the others together for
> hacking, that could work out nicely and help us set an agenda for the
> meeting in Prague.

I think it's a bad idea to aim for having only a single person in the
booth at any time. Disregarding the fact that it is really hard work
to remain friendly, alert and inviting in an expo hall for 9 hours
please consider what it is like without a chance to grab a meal or
visit the rest room.

And of course if there are more people in the booth and more things
going on then it looks much more interesting, than with just a single
person around who would actually rather be hacking with the others in
the basement.

As I have pointed out a couple of times, those of us who have been at
LinuxTag showing off coreboot (including yourself) are not too many,
and it really requires some effort. LinuxTag is an exhibition and not
a hacking event, and I think everyone who has been there and helped
out have always done a great job! But even so, we could use a lot
more resources simply on our exhibition there.

> Some hacking at FOSDEM would be nice, but I expect us to take care
> of immediate needs for our booth instead during that time.

Right, and LinuxTag is no different, in fact it is *strictly* an
exhibition, and one with a rather professional aim at that. I think
we would be dividing already scarce resources by having a developer
meeting at the same time as the expo.

Then I would much rather visit Prague say the weekend after LinuxTag.

//Peter