[coreboot] Here is my new board. Can coreboot be implemented on it?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Jan 13 14:32:02 CET 2011

Kfir Lavi wrote:
> I'm considering developing coreboot for this platform.

Well, ok..

> Last time I asked this question in gentoo-embedded mailing lists,
> Peter said it would take 8 months to develop.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/embedded/223304#223304
> For an experienced coreboot developer I would estimate an absolute
> minimum of eight man-months of work. This assumes that Intel NDAs and
> document retrieval requests are processed instantly. It took 9 months
> just to get NDAs processed for the coreboot developer who went
> through that process. On the other hand, one Intel FAE I talked to
> mentioned only weeks needed in some of his projects.
>
> I don't have 8 months for start and I'm really not an experienced
> coreboot developer, so I want you to look again on the attached files,
> so maybe it could be easier then Peter initially stated.

I didn't make that up. And do not overlook the process of acquiring
NDAs and documentation from Intel. Since the chipset is not supported
you have the worst case scenario ahead of you. And you'd have to
spend some time learning about firmware development in general if you
haven't recently done work in this area. Every new chipset generation
adds more stuff..

> Manufacturer: Kontron Embedded Modules GmbH
> Product Name: ETXexpress-PC
> Version: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     L9400  @ 1.86GHz

> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)

The chipset is not supported at all and requires new support to be
written.

I would, again, recommend looking at hardware which is already
supported.

//Peter