[coreboot] Seabios - VGA & Boot From First Hard Drive Issues

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 02:02:09 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:37:52AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 01:54:04AM -0900, Roger wrote:
>> And still getting better here.
>>
>> I've reset some Seabios config.h options to defaults and disabled FLOPPY
>> options.
>
>The floppy options have no impact on seabios when in coreboot mode.
>What you're seeing here is likely random failures.  You should try
>running the memtest program.

Yup.  Figured-out, the user is required to press "F12" else Seabios will try to
load a floppy image as defined in milliseconds within config.h.

If Seabios doesn't find a floppy image or boot image, it will then reload
coreboot/reboot as defined in milliseconds within config.h.  (This I find nuts,
Seabios infinitely reloading coreboot over & over again.  Is this correct?
Great stress testing though as I can see additional reloads fail sometime over
time due to raminit issues.)

I prefer Seabios to sit and wait forever (an unlimited amount of time).

Also, if I do get things going correctly, would prefer Seabios just go ahead
and boot the bootable drive partition (or main boot record... with grub/lilo
installed).  If anything, a slight pause might be essential in case a user does
have a floppy image installed or chooses network, usb, etc.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/