[coreboot] [RFC] Converting W83977TF early serial from included to linked

Keith Hui buurin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 19:00:01 CET 2011

Hi all,

In my pipeline is something more infrastructural, something different
from what I usually do -

I am converting early serial code for Winbond W83977TF from code
included in romstage to compiled unit to be linked into romstage.

13 boards use this superio, some apparently still not converted to CAR
(including one Intel server board). I have yet to complete running
abuild on my change. Should I let it break when I submit it for review
given earlier buzz suggesting we leave non-CAR boards behind?

The reason I'm doing this is I want to do this for ITE IT8705F, which
happens to have no board using it at the moment, but I want to test
this approach on a board that I can boot test right now. Enter the
P2B-LS and W83977TF. If this proof of concept works, we can start this
conversion one superio at a time and nail down one more goal of the
infrastructure refactoring.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks
Keith