[coreboot] [RFC] marketing coreboot after recent support of AMD board

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Sat Feb 26 21:55:08 CET 2011

Am Samstag, 26. Februar 2011, 11:19:23 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> One question, to make this message even longer, is the problems Scott is
> having to boot Windows just due to the board port (lack of
> documentation(?)) or does the generic new AMD “chipset” code also needs
> more work, so that it would be better to wait for another board where
> then coreboot could be ported to more quickly after Scott found the
> “shortcomings” of the chipset code?
It's most likely our support for various tables (the ACPI family, mptable,
pir, ...). These are highly manual for now, and it would reduce the time to
market for a board with supported components if these could be autogenerated
somehow (and in a way that can be validated on all kinds of OS
variants/versions and apply for a lot of boards automatically).

Windows is very picky about these tables, and fails if they're not perfect.
Linux is (by necessity) more tolerant with crappy data, as the non-windows
parts of ACPI are often downright broken.

Patrick