[coreboot] HP Proliant dl145 g3 Can't read Boot disk

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:16:55 CET 2011

On 02/21/2011 03:53 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 06:26:30PM -0500, jarray52 jarray52 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My HP Proliant dl145 g3 with Coreboot Bios and SeaBIOS payload cannot read
>> my hard disk. Here is the serial console output.
>>
>> http://coreboot.pastebin.com/HYee3u0t
>>
>> For easy reference, here is the coreboot page on the HP Proliant dl145 g3.
>>
>> http://www.coreboot.org/HP_DL145_G3
>>
>> To ensure the problem was not caused by an HP BIOS or the LSI SAS controller
>> raid initialization of hard drives, I used a hard drive with OS created on a
>> non HP(Asus) without either hardware or software raid. No hard drive with
>> boot sector was readable by coreboot/seabios.
>
> The log shows SeaBIOS found an ATA controller, but did not find any
> drives attached to the controller.  It did not find an option rom on
> any cards - so no scsi option rom was run.

He removed the SAS card from the system, as running its option ROM would
freeze the boot process. He has two SATA drives connected to the onboard
controller. Initially, I thought the error had to do with the fact that
the drives were in RAID, and the boot sector was offset, but he tried
with a non-RAID drive connected (with linux already installed), and the
result was the same.

The coreboot log does show the SATA controller to be initialized (if I
am reading it correctly).

PCI: 01:0e.0 [1166/024a] ops
PCI: 01:0e.0 [1166/024a] enabled
malloc Enter, size 68, free_mem_ptr 00150224
malloc 00150224
PCI: 01:0e.1 [1166/024a] ops
PCI: 01:0e.1 [1166/024a] enabled
POST: 0x25

The 1166:024a is the SATA controller.

> Can you post the output of lspci and identify which device you
> expected to boot from?

Better lspci -nn ?

Alex