[coreboot] Help for motherboard

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Sat Feb 19 17:10:27 CET 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: coreboot-bounces at coreboot.org [mailto:coreboot-bounces at coreboot.org] On Behalf Of Alex G.
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2011 08:17 AM
To: coreboot at coreboot.org
Subject: Re: [coreboot] Help for motherboard

]On 02/19/2011 01:39 PM, sh4r4d at gmail.com wrote:
]> But I did not found here new Intel and AMD cpu for motherboards in
]> Desktop/Workstation section (except Laptop)
]> mentioned for e.g.
]>   Intel Core 7i
]>   Intel Core 3i
]
]Won't happen because Intel won't tell us how to initialize that
]hardware. So just stay away.
]
]> and similar AMD's latest.
]>
]Support for AMD Fam 14h just got added a few days ago. There are only
]two AMD boards that are currently supported. It's a very new product, so
]we don't have the boards (yet?).

I found two AMD family 14h boards on sale at newegg.com:

1) ASRock E350M1 - US$ 109.99
2) GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3 - US$ 149.99

I ordered #1 because it has a serial port header. I will try to
get coreboot working on it in my spare time.

Board #2 looks interesting. It apparently has no serial port. But
underneath is the pad for a jtag debugging header. I think soldering
a header would allow the Sage SmartProbe (http://se-eng.com/) to work.

Thanks,
Scott

]> So finally I like to know do these newer CPU's any motherboard going
]> to be supported in near future, So I will purchase that motherboard.
]>
]Your board will be supported if you do the port yourself, or are lucky
]enough to have the same board as someone who has already ported (is
]doing the port).
]
]I'm working on the VIA VX900, so you could expect that to be supported
]in a couple of months (or earlier, depending on how difficult the
]chipset is).
]
]> I want to find it out as it will be difficult to change hardware than
]> software later. Please suggest which CPU/motherboard combination is
]> good with coreboot.
]>
]What do you want to do with your computer?
]For HTPC, VIA Nano is pretty good.
]For regular desktop, we have a few good AM3 boards supported.
]For workstation/server, you can get your hands dirty, get a
]single/dual-socket G34 board, and start porting. We have most
]infrastructure code for that, so it shouldn't be too hard. :)
]
]And someone wiser may give you a more complete answer.
]
]Alex