[coreboot] Successful boot on Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP motherboard

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 22 10:20:13 CEST 2011

Am Sonntag, den 21.08.2011, 07:00 -0600 schrieb Donovan Lavinder:
> I decided to evict the Award BIOS for Coreboot, for some advanced features,
> such as UEFI for example (upcoming BIOS won't support EFI, so I decided to
> give Coreboot a shot), however, I first tried a well-known working firmware
> snapshot in archived ZIP files of motherboard firmwares.

Could you please post an URL for that archive.

> For my Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP Rev. 2.0 - I picked firmware ROM
> from /GIGABYTE_MA78GM/ folder, and then burned that copy onto the main
> firmware ROM flash chip,

Using flashrom?

> and several power-downs hoping the backup BIOS won't think of silly
> idea of overwriting the main firmware flash with Award BIOS.

Why several power-downs? Did something go wrong?

> The verdict: IT WORKED!

Congratulations!

> However, I am getting rather strange behavior from WIndows XP - whenever it
> boots up, it crashed (from safe mode, it stopped dead after "giveio.sys"
> file was loaded - I think it could be AMD CPU driver that loads after
> giveio.sys) - otherwise, Linux live CD distro (that I used to burn the
> firmware) loaded fine on the computer. I am thinking it could be the bugs in
> SeaBIOS.

Can you post a serial log, so the developers can take a look what
coreboot and payload versions are used.

> System specification:
> Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP (AMD 780G / SB710 chipsets) - similar to
> GA-MA78GM-US2H
> Gigabyte brand (can't remember model) AMD Radeon HD 4670 PCIe 2.0 1GB video
> card (used as a main VGA controller)
> Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR-II 800MHz Dual-Channel kit
> AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb 940 Black Series (for some reason, the firmware told
> it to run at 2.0GHz instead of 3.0GHz)
> Western Digital OEM Caivar 40GB SATA hard drive (WIndows XP Home Edition w/
> SP3)
> Western Digital Caivar Blue 500GB SATA-II hard drive (secondary)
> ASUS DRW 2014-L1T SATA DVD-RAM burner
> PS/2 keyboard (PS/2 mouse won't work so I am using USB mouse. An excuse for
> getting all USB keyboard and mouse! :) )

Could you register at our Wiki and set up a page with instructions and
information about your motherboard! That would be awesome.

I hope the developers can tell you more on how to get your board
supported upstream.

Thanks,

Paul