[coreboot] Porting Asus A8V-VM: Problem with initializing the SuperIO

Nikolai Spassoff ns at codingrobot.com
Thu Aug 18 16:27:28 CEST 2011

I'm trying to port an Asus A8V-VM board (it has the already supported
VIA K8M890/VT8237A and W83627EHG).
Currently I have a major problem with getting the serial port working correctly.

Booting SerialICE (rom for Asus m2v-mx_se, which has totally different
SuperIO, but the same NB/SB) works, the serial console is fully
accessible and qemu can talk to the board.

With coreboot the board hangs on console_init() right after the serial
port is initialized.

In the attached romstage.c (http://pastebin.com/AKrr2A7i) I see output
right before the console_init() call. It's also strange that it takes
about 20-30 sec. to print the whole line ( print_info("pre:
console_init()\n"); ). A char. is printed every ~2 sec.

I also tried using the initialization code from already supported
boards like A8V-E SE, still w/o any luck.

Porting the already working SerialICE code (see
http://pastebin.com/Y9Gc0U6n) to coreboot results the same slow
printing and hang on the console_init() call.

Any help would be really helpful and thanks in advance!