[coreboot] [RFC] ASRock E350M1/* on XBMC’s Feature Friday? (was: Marketing: Please send stories/news about coreboot to the list.)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 18 18:07:23 CEST 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 18.08.2011, 10:11 -0500 schrieb Marshall Buschman:
> On 08/18/2011 04:17 AM, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > I would welcome it, if you could send a short message to this list, if
> > you publish something about coreboot.
> >
> > Reading a blog post about the ASRock E350M1/USB3 I could not resist to
> > comment and mention coreboot. One image/movie says more than a thousand
> > words and therefore I searched for a demo on YouTube.
> >
> > I was surprised to find the demonstration »Coreboot - 9.6sec from
> > poweron to XBMC« [2] created by Marshall.
> >
> > It would be great if you could inform this list about such
> > demonstrations so people can use it for “marketing” or just tell their
> > friends about this.
> >
> > I hope you developers do not mind about such messages. I guess with a
> > descriptive subject line people not interested can just delete such
> > messages.
> >
> > By the way, Marshall, could you give more information about your setup,
> > like the distribution, the XBMC version and the init system, and maybe
> > even publish your flash image.

> > [1] http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article22/efi-boot
> > [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IntsDeX_s1M
>
> Absolutely. I've actually done significantly more since that youtube video.
> My documentation is currently in the form of notes, and I'm working on
> collecting them into something like a howto, or at least a more detailed
> description of my goals and how they're being achieved at the moment.
> I'll let you know when I have something I can share! :)

These are great news. Thank you for doing that.

I hope you do not mind that I am throwing in one more idea for
marketing. Seeing that you play with XBMC [3] maybe you could add things
to your notes that would be interesting for the multimedia/XBMC folks.
They try to feature a system every Friday (like [4]) and your system
running coreboot definitely suits that series in my opinion.

We just should make sure that the information where to buy flash chips
and instructions on how to build an image or even provide a test image.

I am sorry if I wrote the obvious and you already thought about this.

Thanks again for all your work!

Paul

[3] http://xbmc.org/
[4] http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2011/08/06/feature-friday-24-terabytes-of-awesome/