[coreboot] Modifying Coreboot to support a new processor

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Thu Aug 11 00:51:14 CEST 2011

* Dsouza, Malcolm <malcolm.dsouza at igatepatni.com> [110809 14:40]:
> Thanks Corey,
>

>  1. I agree that before reading through the code, it is better to first check
>     if the BIOS guides are available. However I would still like the answer to
>     my question if I wish to carry on with the investigation for now.
>  2. I am trying to work out an overview of the changes required for a start; a
>     bird’s eye view of what the changes could turn out to be. What is the best
>     approach for this?

You will have to write "drivers" for all your components.

* Northbridge (integrated into CPU these days)
* Southbridge
* CPU
* Super I/O / Embedded Controllers / Management Engine
* ...

Starting a new chipset port for a chipset of that complexity is probably
going to be 6 months to a year of work

You will also have to make sure that your NDAs don't keep you from
releasing the code you are writing under the GPLv2.

Stefan