[coreboot] Dell Latitude D820

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Wed Apr 20 15:07:03 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Stefan Reinauer's message of Tue Apr 19 21:30:35 -0400 2011:
> * Philippe LeCavalier <support at plecavalier.com> [110419 20:22]:
[..]
> If your BIOS works for you, you should consider keeping it.
>
> Porting coreboot to a new mainboard is a significant effort and you will
> have to make sure you have ways to recover from failure (i.e. get your
> external flash writer and/or soldering iron ready)
hm. I see. I was hoping the worst case would be flashing it back to the
original BIOS. A soldering gun is a bit extreme considering my current
setup works just fine.

> However, in some cases you can get to sub second firmware boot times
> with coreboot. And it is open source, so you can add or remove whatever
> feature you require or not.
Despite the aforementioned this is still somewhat appealing to me.

[..]

To ensure I fully comprehend the risk here...Backing up the BIOS isn't
my insurance policy; I'd actually have to replace the chip? Once I've
got a clear understanding of the worst-case scenario I'll feel stronger
about making a decision.
--
Thanks,
Phil