[coreboot] Dell Latitude D820

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Wed Apr 20 03:30:35 CEST 2011

* Philippe LeCavalier <support at plecavalier.com> [110419 20:22]:
> Hi All.
>
> Just joined the list to find out your opinion on whether or not I should
> put coreboot on my laptop.
>
> First off, what do I gain? I read it's faster but I don't really think
> my BIOS is slow. OR is it? Perhaps seeing is believing...

If your BIOS works for you, you should consider keeping it.

Porting coreboot to a new mainboard is a significant effort and you will
have to make sure you have ways to recover from failure (i.e. get your
external flash writer and/or soldering iron ready)

However, in some cases you can get to sub second firmware boot times
with coreboot. And it is open source, so you can add or remove whatever
feature you require or not.

The Wiki is generally a great source of information.

> Step 1: A very brief description of your system: board vendor, board name, CPU,
> northbridge, southbridge, and optionally other important details.
> Dell Latitude D820, Intel T2500(2.0GHz) CEntrino Duo, Intel 82801,Intel Mobile
> 945PM,  Nvidia Go 7400 256MB, Intel Pro 3945 minipci, Broadcom gigabit nic PCIe

The chipset is generally supported.

> Step 3: Super I/O chip on the mainboard (report the model numbers on the actual
> chip, for example "Winbond W83627HF" and/or run "superiotool -dV").
> See attached

So is the Super I/O

Regards,
Stefan