[coreboot] First coreboot build for Tyan s2895 K8WE mobo with seabios payload, computer starts, but graphical ubuntu 64bits is crashing

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Fri Sep 17 03:30:52 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:21:52PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > I downloaded latest available verszion of payload seabios, with
> > command "git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/kevin/seabios.git seabios".
> ..
> > The make command has build the file => out/bios.bin.elf 1048716 bytes
>
> This is wrong. The SeaBIOS payload file should only be a few hundred
> kb. There is a problem with the build of SeaBIOS.

This is normal now.  A lot of tool chains add padding to the elf
file.  When the seabios payload gets added to cbfs, this padding is
removed.  So, the elf size is just misleading.  The real size of
seabios is shown at the end of the seabios build.

On my machine I'll get:

Total size: 93744  Free space: 37328  Percent used: 71.5% (128KiB rom)
$ ls -l out/bios.bin.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kevin 1048716 Sep 16 20:49 out/bios.bin.elf

The real size in flash (even without lzma) is 93744 bytes.

-Kevin