[coreboot] interesting request for serial console over enet

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Sun Nov 7 10:32:20 CET 2010

Dne 5.11.2010 00:54, ron minnich napsal(a):
> someone I know from a Big telecom company just pushed an interesting
> idea on me.
>
> If coreboot+seabios would provide a bios service for serial console
> over enet, it would improve their life a lot. They could stop building
> cyclades boxes into their racks, and stop worrying about which
> mainboards had serial ports. I know that coreboot can now do console
> over enet; would be neat if seabios could provide a path for payloads
> to use it.

What about to write add-on to gPXE? Some simple handler for int10/int16 call
sitting on it would certainly help (it can do DHCP/BOOT to get idea about GW)

I think they must have ARP there too. So the only part which is really  missing
is just the handler for the BIOS.

I think the current coreboot ethernet console has some issues if it is not on
bus0. I guess I could change that a bit to provide ramstage support if this is
the case.

Thanks,
Rudolf