[coreboot] interesting request for serial console over enet

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 00:54:14 CET 2010

someone I know from a Big telecom company just pushed an interesting
idea on me.

If coreboot+seabios would provide a bios service for serial console
over enet, it would improve their life a lot. They could stop building
cyclades boxes into their racks, and stop worrying about which
mainboards had serial ports. I know that coreboot can now do console
over enet; would be neat if seabios could provide a path for payloads
to use it.

Note they don't want vga over enet or IPMI. Just a very simple "until
we're  booted" console over enet that looks like serial port. Sort of
a bios-level version of this: http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/8/cec

Just thought I'd mention it ...

ron