[coreboot] Wyse S10 Information

Oliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Wed May 26 18:34:40 CEST 2010

Hey all

I took some pictures and re-added the earlier text outputs to create a
single message with all available information. Maybe someone can put it
on a wyse/s10 wiki page?

I also tried a Flashrom -E operation; which failed, so currently,
flashrom can't erase this chip (yet) on the Wyse S10.

I did properly Read and Write the image back and a reboot later all was
working still :)

Unfortunatly extracting anything useful from the Bios failed:

bios_extract S10_orig.rom
Using file "S10_orig.rom" (2048kB)
Error: Unable to detect BIOS Image type.

Strings was interesting enough. I changed the IP, something that might
seem like a password and hostnames; just in case. So to me a big portion
of the ICA information is still located in the flashrom; e.g. WyseOS
definitely resides in the bios area somewhere; I suppose it's an
option.rom or whatever for them?

1.0.4
unknown compression method
invalid window size
incorrect header check
need dictionary
incorrect data check
invalid stored block lengths
invalid block type
invalid bit length repeat
too many length or distance symbols
oversubscribed dynamic bit lengths tree
incomplete dynamic bit lengths tree
oversubscribed literal/length tree
incomplete literal/length tree
invalid literal/length code
invalid distance code
  inflate 1.0.4 Copyright 1995-1996 Mark Adler
q55q
10.10.14.131
olddomain.local
ve.nl
Default ICA
Default RDP
wyse-1000
oldserver01
administrator
Dasdfa8
<snip>
XpressStart
5Reset the SEE Contents to Default Value(Ignore VPD).
!No boot device present, halting.
<snip>
!No boot device present. Halting.
JCALG1 Compression Library - Copyright (C) 1999,2000 Jeremy Collake
http://www.collakesoftware.com
<snip>
)Keyboard failed to initialize.  Halting.
<snip>
$VER4.11.00
$TIM15:51:11
$DAT04/23/2006
$CPR(c) 1999-2003 Copyright National Semiconductor
$REL-
$PLTSATURN_CALLISTO
$USR1.14
Reserved
_SYSID_
_UUID_
$CFG107^SATURN_CALLISTO^^1.14^ABC
BBBAB^dowser.rom^BAAFA^10000^AAB^0^ABBAACDABBBBBA0DAC^0^^0^^0^^0^BAKEJJABB^0000^00AEIEIEIEI^usb.vsm
kbd.vsm uart.vsm^^93C46.ASM VPD.ASM
ITE8761.ASM^A^RTSPXE_M.LOM^DA^uhci_m.rom^CB^ ^00^ ^00^ ^00^ ^00^g^^g^^
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
^^ ^
$CFE^5535.asm^5535sio.asm^93C46.asm^itable.asm^ite8761.asm^ns36x.asm^spdi2c.asm^VPD.asm^^
$CFO
Maximum number of warnings exceeded.

interesting btw that it menions 5535 here int he ASM bits; where the
chip really is a 5536. Grepping the strings output for 5536 yields nothing.

Anyway, I won't be able to quite easily extract a VSA. Video rom worked
from my Ubuntu 10.04 USB stick, getting it from /dev/mem; well i think
it worked, here is what strings thinks of this 32kb file.

K7400
VIDEO
IBM VGA Compatible
05/06/04051562LGC
JVGA BIOS - Version 5.30a Copyright (C) 2003-2004 Advanced Micro Devices
<snip>
 Advanced Micro Devices Integrated Graphics

VGABIOS Version 5.30
 GX2VG Version 0.00
 Memory Size =
4 Meg   5 Meg   6 Meg   7 Meg   8 Meg   9 Meg   10 Meg  11 Meg  12 Meg
13 Meg  14 Meg  15 Meg  16 Meg
w-t <
Advanced Micro Devices
PCIR"
VESA
Elpin Systems VGA BIOS
GEODE GX2
Version 5.30
<snip>
Larry Coffey
<snip>

Hoepfully someone can make something usefull from all this :S
Btw I think the memory size is set from the bios and uses system ram ...