[coreboot] Geode db800 vs Wyse S50

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue May 25 13:07:38 CEST 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:45:47 +0200, Oliver Schinagl <oliver at schinagl.nl>
wrote:
> On 05/25/10 00:16, Joseph Smith wrote:
>> On 05/24/2010 04:36 PM, Nils wrote:
>>> Hi Oliver,

>>> The wiki page is a little outdated.
>>> Are you sure ?
>>> Joseph reported that his S30 uses a cs5535 instead of the cs5536 on the
>>> S50.
>>
>> Yes my S30 has a GX2 and cs5535.From what I have read both the S30 and
>> S50 are upgradable to the S10. It is just a bios and software upgrade.
>>
>> On another note I just got a V30L, sweet little VIA C& machine....
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
> Hmm; I thought that the S10 was the most basic version :)
>

> Processor:     AMD Geode GX 366MHz
> Memory:     0 Flash/128MB RAM

So S10 has 0 flash??? Does it just PXE boot?

> As the S50 reads:
> Processor:     AMD Geode GX 366MHz
> Memory:     128MB Flash/256MB RAM
>
> btw they use a gx in the spec instead of gx2; odd.

Yes you will see that alot, the GX is actually the sucsesor to the GX1.
Others will call it GX2 for clarification (me :-)).

> The S30 lists the same btw:
>
> Processor:     AMD Geode GX 366MHz
> Memory:     64MB Flash/128MB RAM

S30 comes with different flash/ram combos.
Mine has 32MB Flash/ 64MB RAM

> So besides the tool outputs etc etc I posted earlier; I'll take loads of
> pics. Do I need to pry off the CPUs heatsink for a pic of that? Since I
> don't know how to best re-attach it; id' like to postpone that.

Yes I think this is a great idea :-) No need to take the heatsink off, we
already know what the CPU is. I propose a new wiki page "Wyse Thin Clients"
That we can upload pics too, and information about each system. I have 3 or
4 different models so a central info point would be cool. I would be glad
to take lots of pics too.

> Also not having a GX VSA is kinda really off-putting; it basically means
> I can't use coreboot on this thing yet? How did people do it on the S30
> and more specifically the S50? The S50 does list as being supported, how?

Don't worry about VSA too much, I am sure we can up with a solution when we
get to that point.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith