[coreboot] Which machine is good for developing on coreboot?

Qing Pei Wang wangqingpei at gmail.com
Sun May 23 10:18:31 CEST 2010

Hi Jiang,
 most of the amd 690/780 serial mainboard are supported by coreboot. Please
see
comments below.

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Jiang Wang <jwangzju at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a PhD student at a university and working on a research project
> which needs to modify the BIOS. Since most BIOS are close sourced, I
> choose the coreboot as the developing environment and thanks for
> providing such a good open source “BIOS”.
> Most of the existing computers in my lab are kind of new and Intel CPU
> based DELL desktop or servers. I guess they are not supported by
> coreboot. Therefore, I want to buy a new machine (my advisor will pay
> for that :) ) which is already well-supported by coreboot for
> developing, and I need your suggestions of which machine(x86 based
> desktop or workstation) is a good candidate. (Another reason I don’t
> like Intel based machine is that their documentation is poor compared
> to AMD. )

AMD 690 are the most mature mainboards which supported by coreboot.

> I have following requirements for the new machine.
> 1)      Fully supported by coreboot. Especially, I want following support
> 2)      Support Windows (XP) and Linux

Windows XP supported are depends on the code. I used only to port windows 7
herring.

> 3)      Support ACPI S3 sleep (suspend to RAM)
> 4)      Good documentation about how to detect and configure the memory
> (because I will modify this part for our project).

the best documentation is maillist in my mind, you can take a mainboard as
the start point.
And ask for help from the maillist.

> I read coreboot Wiki and found out most supported parts are separated,
> such as CPU, motherboard, NB, SB, etc. Does that mean I need to buy
> all the parts and assemble the machine by myself? It is OK, but if
> there is some vendor providing a whole computer would be better. Or I
> guess I just need a good motherboard, any suggestions?
>
> Also, I prefer to buy an AMD K8 or K10 machine. Could someone
> recommend which main board should I use? I see “Pistachio” and
> “Tilapia” in the supported motherboard wiki, but I don’t know where I
> can buy those boards? Thanks.

Pistachio and Tiapia is the AMD dev mainboard. It can not been bought in
public.

> PS: I am new to BIOS development but have some experience in Linux and
> Window device driver.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jiang
>
> --