[coreboot] PCI IO Address space over 0xffff

Joe Korty joe.korty at ccur.com
Fri May 21 22:07:20 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:10:51PM -0400, Myles Watson wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Joe Korty <joe.korty at ccur.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately we have an even bigger PCI-e loaded expansion
> > chassis (configuration #2), for which coreboot also hangs.
> > It's not an out-of-memory hang; it happens (apparently)
> > during the bus walk. ?I haven't looked into this hang in
> > detail yet, so I don't have much to report. ?But I do fear
> > it may be something more fundamental.
>
> If you send the log to the list we might be able to help.

Hi Myles,
I've solved this one, kind of.  It is PCI IO Space
overflow, we are going over 0xffff which apparently is
a hard limit.  I image this is there so that inb, outw,
etc instructions can be used to reference these devices.

But if one doesn't use such instructions (instead using
memory mapped PCI IO space), I see no reason why Linux
and coreboot couldn't work with PCI IO Space addresses
> 0xffff.

Regards,
Joe