[coreboot] FILO bug disk not seen at ata-0 (Doesn't try to detect on ATA only SIL3114)

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Wed May 19 23:27:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 07:45:18PM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

> I think you're going to want SeaBIOS if you need to install Linux from
> a CD.  I think filo has cd booting support, but I'd guess standard
> Linux distros wont work out of the box.

Mmmm... hadn't thought of that. Just a crazy idea:

Is there a payload to load another payload from disk/usb/cd/net instead of Flash ?. I
imagine the calling interface between coreboot and a payload is
different than that between any of the payloads and the OS, but
maybe it does not need to be so always ?  I mean can you keep for
example coreboot+filo+something in the flash where the original BIOS
was, so that you boot fast from flash ordinarily and still use SeaBIOS (slowly)
without reflashing by loading it from disk once in a while when you
want to try a liveCD or BSD in another partition or whatever ? Or maybe there's plenty of room
on flash so usually you can keep all payloads you may ever need there
and never bother to load them from disk ?.

If I'm talking nonsense just reply "nonsense" and ignore it...