[coreboot] [Patch] remove some warnings

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Mar 21 19:47:32 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 06:23:43PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> On 3/21/10 5:38 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > Otherwise, the compiler didn't stop the cast - it's just generating a
> > warning that it's dangerous.  (That is, it's letting the user know
> > that any memory accesses via the "unsigned char *" reference wont
> > necessarily be seen from the "struct acpi_hdr *" reference and
> > vice-versa.)
> >

> So making both (or even one of them) const should help?

I don't know.  It's probably worth testing.  A const pointer doesn't
mean the memory can't change - it just means the memory can't be
changed via that pointer - so, gcc might still warn.

To be honest, I just turned off the warning in SeaBIOS
(-Wno-strict-aliasing).  Last time I looked, different versions of the
compiler had different heuristics for warning, and I couldn't see
anything that I was doing that was wrong.  So, I'm probably not the
best person to ask on how to prevent the warnings.  :-)

-Kevin