[coreboot] GSoC 2010

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Mar 8 19:43:16 CET 2010

On 3/8/10 6:21 PM, Myles Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com
> <mailto:rminnich at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The EFI lesson: if you're going to put an OS in FLASH, at least make
>     it a good one.
>
>     Otherwise, you get EFI.
>
>     Be careful where you're going here. You're starting to verge on
>     creating an OS. If you get that far, at least look at what's out there
>     before you go too much further.
>

> I may have missed too much of this thread, but I thought it started
> out as a "recovery" method.  If it doesn't work well enough to load
> Linux, why could it load other things?

Because Linux needs a lot more stuff than anything else. APIC setup,
interrupts going, ...

> I thought the point was that you want to be able to recover when only
> serial works.  Lots of things can fail between then and loading a payload.
No, the point is really to get normal going without an OS after normal
is misflashed, with only fallback left.

If you're beyond that point you're a coreboot hacker and want a
replacement flash chip or some more convenient methods to recover anyways.

Stefan