[coreboot] GSoC 2010

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Mar 6 19:00:57 CET 2010

On 06.03.2010 17:22, Joseph Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:13:41 +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06.03.2010 16:19, Joseph Smith wrote:
>>
>>> YES! Flashrom as a coreboot payload would be truly awesome!
>>>

>> 1. Full flashrom with GUI as payload (may easily exceed 200 kB
>> uncompressed and 60 kB lzma compressed).
>>
>> Variant 1 does waste a lot of flash space and is unable to cope with new
>> flash chips, and you have no way to recover if flashing goes wrong
>> because you can't upgrade flashrom in the first place. It is the only
>> standalone solution, though, and it is fast.
>>
> What about Variant 1 but with Kconfig options to choose only certain flash
> chips supported by your board, thus reducing the overall size. This
> combined with bayou and a normal OS booting payload would be incredible :-)

While it would be cool, this needs a completely working coreboot
including VGA init (how would you interact with the system otherwise),
and if that works, you can usually run Linux anyway or at least load
some code from disk or from the network (the place where the new image
would live).

So yes, would be a neat gimmick, but IMHO of limited value.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
"I do consider assignment statements and pointer variables to be among
computer science's most valuable treasures."