[coreboot] Supermicro H8QME-2+ mct_d fatal exit.

Knut Kujat knuku at gap.upv.es
Thu Mar 4 15:49:27 CET 2010

Hello,

I still having trouble with "fatal exit" but now I can reproduce the error:

Let's say I have a board running with vendor BIOS and flashing
coreboot.rom into it with flashrom, so far everything good.
Now I shut the whole system down and turn it on again, and voila
coreboot booting without having problems. And I can shut the system down
like 100 times and boot again with no trouble. Now I unplugging the
board for more than a minute plug it back on and coreboot is unable to
find my installed memory and dies with "No Nodes?!" "mct_d: fatal exit".
In order to make it boot again with coreboot I have to first flash the
vendor BIOS on it and boot it than I can flash and boot coreboot again.
That won't be much trouble with 1 or 2 boards but with more than 10...

I'm thinking that there may be some kind of electrical issue because I
have a board that used to "fatal exit" down in the cluster but up here
in the lab it works  fine without any "unplugging and than not working"
issues. Is there any way to solve this problem? Maybe ram needs more
time to stabilize itself before initializing ?!

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Knut Kujat.