[coreboot] AMD740G - Not supported yet?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jun 25 02:56:06 CEST 2010

GS Hunt wrote:
> I was looking at the suggested links on coreboot to buy bios chips, and
> couldn't decide what chip would work. It takes some socketed spi chip.
> On my particualar board it is 1 MB, but and some other 740G boards seem
> to have 4 and 8 MB Its an 8 pin  chip. Any suggestions on a suitable
> bios chip would be greatly appreciated.

Flash chip size is measured in bits. Your 1Mbyte chip is 8Mbit.

You could get

Macronix
8Mbit: MX25L8005PC-15G
16Mbit: MX25L1605DPI-12G
32Mbit: MX25L3205DPI-12G

Winbond
8Mbit: W25X80VDAIZ
8Mbit: W25X80AVAIZ
These are actually legacy part numbers, they have new produts but
there are too many PDFs for me to list them all here. Check out
http://www.winbond.com.tw/hq/enu/ProductAndSales/ProductLines/FlashMemory/SerialFlash/
for the full list.

bios-repair.co.uk/bios/eeprom.htm sells some of these, not the
32Mbit, but they're a bit expensive. On the other hand they have
stock, don't mind selling single quantity and they ship right away.

//Peter