[coreboot] minimum linuxbios

Mark Marshall mark.marshall at csr.com
Tue Jul 6 11:53:17 CEST 2010

Masoud Fatollahy wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I am working to make a minimal linuxbios without any payload or linux
> kernel, I just want to see a nice hello word string on the serial port
> and nothing else. is it possible to make such a bios? also to setup only
> the necessary HW registers and memory to see the printout message.
>
> how should i do this?

Look at SerialICE:

http://www.serialice.com/News/News.html

This is a mini monitor that runs over the serial port.  The coreboot
developers use it to step through a BIOS image, but it contains
just enough to get the serial port working.  Memory is not
initialized, so everything is done with registers.

MarkM