[coreboot] Tinyscheme ported to coreboot/libpayload

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Jan 31 15:12:27 CET 2010

Dear Silvain,

On 1/31/10 1:34 PM, Sylvain Ageneau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to announce that tinyscheme
> <http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/home.html> can now run as a
> coreboot payload.
>
> TinyScheme is a lightweight Scheme interpreter that implements as
> large a subset of R5RS as was possible without getting very large and
> complicated. It is meant to be used as an embedded scripting
> interpreter for other programs. As such, it does not offer IDEs or
> extensive toolkits although it does sport a small top-level loop,
> included conditionally. A lot of functionality in TinyScheme is
> included conditionally, to allow developers freedom in balancing
> features and footprint. Programmatically, foreign functions in C can
> be added and values can be defined in the Scheme environment.
Thank you very much for your efforts.
> The port was quite straightforward, most of the needed fonctionality
> needed was already in libpayload. It was probably possible to adapt
> tinyscheme to run on an unmodified libpayload but it didn't seem
> difficult to take the needed C functions from dietlibc (mostly stdio /
> math stuff) so I went that way instead (just needed to make some stubs
> for some low level functions like read/write). I don't know what your
> policy is with respect to integrating code from another GPL project
> but it looks like quite a bit of dietlibc could be easily integrated
> into libpayload. Some stuff uses syscalls and the like but other code
> doesn't require any fancy OS functionality.
Please note that libpayload is _not_ released under the GPL, but under
the BSD license (just like tinyscheme, btw), so it can not share code
with GPL projects.

Please also check
http://www.coreboot.org/Development_Guidelines#How_to_contribute,
especially the section on signing off patches. :-)

Best regards,

Stefan