[coreboot] When should we retire newconfig?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jan 11 23:41:00 CET 2010

Patrick Georgi wrote:
> 4. Implement it like in southbridge/amd/amd8111:
> 4a. Add a new file (I recommend
> "southbridge/$vendor/$device/bootblock.c") with a static void
> bootblock_southbridge_init(void) function that enables rom mapping
> 4b. Set BOOTBLOCK_SOUTHBRIDGE_INIT to point to the file

Please can some of these be renamed?

map_rom.c (or map_full_rom.c or possibly enable_rom_decode.c)
southbridge_map_rom() (or similar per filename above)

My reasoning is that the build system is a great place to describe
_when_ files are used, but code and filenames need only say _what_
they do - if there is one single convention.

I think 4b. should be made general. I don't know if I prefer always
including the file and having an empty function, or allowing the file
to be included only for southbridges where it actually exists. Empty
functions really suck; source code noise. Automagic build rules do
too; rename a file and get a runtime error instead of a buildtime
error. I have to go with the lesser evil; the empty function.

//Peter