[coreboot] Future coreboot phases?

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Sun Jan 10 09:11:42 CET 2010

Am 09.01.2010 23:31, schrieb Kevin O'Connor:
> This is just a starting point for discussion.  There's a good chance
> I've gotten some things wrong.  The idea is to document where things
> are heading instead of how exactly they are today.

Thank you!
> * Full rom mapping and fallback/normal switch can be board specific,
>   but most of the other code is standard.

Any romstage selection should be generic in source (it can compile to
board specific object code).
The proliferation of all those similar-but-not-quite copies of the
switch in the board directories wasn't one of the better aspects of
coreboot-v2.

The current "selection" code for tinybootblock is in
src/arch/i386/init/bootblock.c
At some point I'd like to see multiple selection code files there with a
Kconfig option to select the desired one.
Before we can actually do a selection, we need a way to fill an image
with mupltiple variants. That's mostly a build system issue, but one I'd
like to get ridhg

> Open questions:
>
> At what point do the non-BP cpus get shutdown?  What phases will use
> multiple processors?

CPU code (or northbridge code in some instances, I think) handles that
for itself. AMD can (or must?) use multiple CPUs for RAM init, all
others put non-BP cpus to sleep as soon as possible (somewhere inside
cpu or northbridge code).
> How is S3 resume handled?

Rudolf was working on resume related issues recently. A clear set of
rules how caches have to work in all stages should help him, too...

Patrick