[coreboot] Panic room

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 22 19:25:40 CET 2010

On 22.02.2010 18:49, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

>>> in my ideal world, the panic room is SerialICE.
>>>

>> That's a nice idea.
>>
>> I think interesting suggestions for panic room go from debugging
>> (SerialICE, gdb) to monitor (console menu for file transfer and
>> flashing) and beyond.
>>
>> For board porters it's definately most useful to get debugging. For
>> production use maybe monitor mode is more useful. Or even something
>> like a RAM scrubber as a simple failsafe?
>>
>> I guess we don't want to limit ourselves to just one choice here.
>>

> Well, one choice is better than none and the world was not invented in a
> day ...

If SerialICE is relocatable to have all code in CAR and if it can do
batched commands (<start_transaction>, <bunch_of_memory_writes>,
<end_transaction_and_execute_now>), it is reasonably easy to have
flashrom rewrite the ROM over the SerialICE interface. IMHO that's a
pretty good way to recover from a non-booting machine because it only
needs a serial line (or whatever you're using to communicate with
SerialICE).

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
"I do consider assignment statements and pointer variables to be among
computer science's most valuable treasures."