[coreboot] playground hardware as a reference

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Feb 4 13:58:17 CET 2010

Dear all,

given the sad fact that a contribution to coreboot.org is considerably
beyond the skillset and/or available timeframe for self-education of the
average computer enthusiast, I thought that a lower entry hurdle might
pay off. This should attract 16-24 year olds, the retired, the
unemployed (maybe you can come up with a cash back for an accepted patch
scheme?) and also the middle-agers with some space in their shelves.

Would it be feasible for you to specify a series of 20 $/€ to 200  $/€
birthday/Xmas presents (books/external hardware) that one could use as a
start into coreboot / prepare the mind for it without the omnipresent
risk to brick one's (or the parent's) desktop?  You'd need to break down
http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual/Tools for that into smaller
success stories.

To prepare for a contribution or not, it is not possible for consumers
to distinguish between more or less cooperative producers. While you
have a nice list of hardware you are already supporting, a respective
buyers' guide would be of tremendous help.

I could help drafting the HTML for such a site, but would need
respective input.

Many thanks and regards

Steffen