[coreboot] Seabios - VGA & Boot From First Hard Drive Issues

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 12:05:03 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:50:18AM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>On 31.12.2010, at 10:07, Roger <rogerx.oss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1)  If I use coreboot's "Run VGA Option ROMs", I can get VGA up and the first
>> thing displayed is one text line of something like "SeaBIOS Version...".
>>
>> And then I usually get some of my other PCI devices option roms executing as
>> well on the VGA display.
>>
>> But when I turn "Run VGA & other Option ROMs" off in Coreboot and then modify SeaBIOS
>> config.h with any of these options:
>>
>> // Support finding and running option roms during post.
>> #define CONFIG_OPTIONROMS 1
>> // Set if option roms are already copied to 0xc0000-0xf0000
>> #define CONFIG_OPTIONROMS_DEPLOYED 0
>> // When option roms are not pre-deployed, SeaBIOS can copy an optionrom
>> // from flash for up to 2 devices.
>> #define OPTIONROM_VENDEV_1 0x00000000
>> #define OPTIONROM_MEM_1 0xf9000000
>> #define OPTIONROM_VENDEV_2 0x00000000
>> #define OPTIONROM_MEM_2 0x00000000
>
>I think you should let SeaBIOS grab the oprom from cbfs.
>
>Also a serial log from SeaBIOS is key here.
>
>Stefan

Logs are attached (or should be), and everybody is saying to let Seabios take
over starting VGA option roms, but coreboot is a lot more successful handling
vga oprom.  Granted, looks like Seabios handles all other oproms really well.

But now that I've gotten a boot, granted rather rough likely due to IRQ routing
issues(?), I'm probably going to go back and concentrate more on the raminit
issues so cold booting works.

corebios make menuconfig should likely have a submenu under seabios option for
allowing seabios to handle vga oprom & non-vga oproms, which in turn would
disable coreboot vga oprom & non-vga oproms respectfully. ...just a thought.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/