[coreboot] To bin or not to bin. was: Allow components to add files to CBFS

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Dec 18 05:11:41 CET 2010

xdrudis wrote:
> > While the open source loving part of my soul might disagree, I firmly
> > believe that we need to provide something that works before we can sit
> > back and do philosophical discussions.
>
> Do you mean propietary BIOSes don't work ?

I think what Stefan means is that it already takes a quite
significant effort to make one board work perfectly with coreboot,
because many vendors choose not to work together with the project -
with AMD being a great exception!

It is fairly important to keep adding support for new hardware to the
project, and we can not really afford to rule any board out, even if
supporting it means that we must depend on a blob to do some things.
There is a greater good in the short term, which is to make coreboot
more widespread. It's very difficult, even for coreboot, to bootstrap
the firmware liberation; each and every step is very important, and I
would say that today has been a very good day, where the project has
taken several leaps forward!

//Peter