[coreboot] MSI K9A2 Platinum v2 support?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Dec 12 23:35:03 CET 2010

Sander Vermin wrote:
> I have a MSI K9A2 Platinum v2 (MS-7376) [1] motherboard, it has a AMD®
> 790FX+SB600 chipset. I would like to experiment with coreboot (and
> seabios). How much work would it be to get this board supported?

Maybe not too bad. If you're lucky the existing code can drive the
chipset.

> I boot my system from a 3ware SE9650 raid controller is this
> supported in coreboot?

No. coreboot (though the name may suggest otherwise) can not boot an
operating system. Your firmware image will consist of coreboot and a
payload, where the payload is completely responsible for starting the
OS. You will need to use either SeaBIOS or possibly Linux as payload,
to access the 3w controller.

> What kind of debugging tools do I need?

If there is a serial port on the mainboard (strongly prefered) you
need a null modem cable. A few EUR.

If there is none, you need a USB Debug Device. ~80 USD+import tax.

POST card can be helpful indeed. A few EUR.

//Peter