[coreboot] Alix.2D3 / Coreboot v4 support

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Wed Aug 25 17:27:38 CEST 2010

Am 25.08.2010 14:43, schrieb Aurélien:
> Does not work for the moment.
> RAMBASE got overwritten to 0x100000 by the config scripts (i think
> that's intended).
Thank you for testing. Yes, 1MB is the default value for RAMBASE.

> Booting with this image leaves me with:
> [...]
> POST: 0x02
> POST 02
> Past wbinvd
> Stage: loading fallback/coreboot_ram @ 0x100000 (114688 bytes), entry @
> 0x100000
> lzma: Decoding error = 1
> CBFS: LZMA decompression failed!
> --- hangs here ---
This is the first time that RAM beyond 1MB is seriously used. On other
Geode boards, some MSRs weren't set up early enough, so >1MB wasn't
reachable. http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/1485/ provides a partial
fix, but I suspect that the LX code has similar issues.

> POST card shows 0x11.
>
> Could you explain me what is the exact problem with RAMBASE @0x4000 and
> why should/should'nt this work ?
Since there are chipsets for which coreboot just don't fit below 1MB, we
moved everything to 1MB where possible. We're trying to cut down on
configuration options, to make boards more uniform, so I'm using every
chance I see to ask people to try if we can get rid of their
"non-standard" configurations.

Having less options helps with maintenance, as there are less surprises
when changes are made (and suddenly a class of boards, eg. those with
RAMBASE=0x4000, break - that already happened). It should also help with
new boards, as there are fewer things to take care of, if such options
are removed.

Regards,
Patrick