[coreboot] RAM issues with non-identical DIMMs

Lennart Sauerbeck lists at lennart.sauerbeck.org
Mon Aug 23 11:01:08 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I ran into a problem when I use a RAM setup with non-identical DIMMs on
the WIP board ASRock 939A785GMH/128M.

My setup is:
2x 512 MB (identical, named 'A')
1x 512 MB ('B')
1x 512 MB ('C')

The first times I booted coreboot linux could only use 384 MB of my 2048
MB. When I boot my current image most setups won't even boot completely.
I attached the logs of various setups; I always used slot 0 first. So
coreboot_A is one DIMM of type 'A' in slot 0 and coreboot_BC is one DIMM
of type 'B' in slot 0 and one of type 'C' in slot 1.

To me some of those logs seem broken, but I don't know what you're
looking for. If anything is wrong with some of them, please let me know,
I'll retest the configuration and hopefully get it right.

I'm not sure for which parts of this issue the board port is to blame,
but Carl-Daniel said there might be an open issue in coreboot for
non-identical DIMMs.

Regards,
Lennart