[coreboot] Fintek f71882

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:40:35 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Alec Wright <alecjw at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On 5 August 2010 15:46, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The first step would be to test flashrom and your spare flash chip
>> with the factory BIOS.  Read the original, swap it out, and write the
>> original to the spare.  If it still boots, then there's no harm in
>> trying other things.
> Already tried flashing my bios with flashrom: it worked fine. I didn't
> know you could hotswap chips to reprogram them though: I thought I'd
> have to use an external programmer. Is there no risk of corrupting
> data on the chip as you remove it?
I won't say _no_ risk, but it's pretty safe.  With a backup, I
wouldn't worry about it at all.

I like using a pushpin best:
http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual/Tools#Chip_removal_tools

A bios savior can be nice, too.

>> Your northbridge and southbridge may also need some configuration
>> before you can get serial debugging.  If you look at SerialICE, it has
>> several examples of minimal configurations to get serial working.
> I'm not really familiar with serialICE, where can i find these
> examples? I looked in the source code but didnt find anything (might
> have been looking in the wrong place though)
Here are a couple of examples:
no initialization:
http://www.serialice.com/trac/serialice/browser/trunk/SerialICE/mainboard/qemu-x86.c?rev=105
some initialization:
http://www.serialice.com/trac/serialice/browser/trunk/SerialICE/mainboard/amd_serengeti-cheetah.c?rev=105
a little more:
http://www.serialice.com/trac/serialice/browser/trunk/SerialICE/mainboard/tyan_s2895.c?rev=105

Basically you take the minimal set of code that can initialize the
serial port from Coreboot, and port it to SerialICE to support a new
mainboard.  The first two are simulators (qemu & simnow), so they're
easy to play with.

> Btw, sorry for replying directly to you last time. I didn't realise
> you'd sent the email to me and cc'ed it to the list, so I just idly
> hit reply and it sent directly to you.
No problem.

Myles