[coreboot] H8QME-2+ boot problems on different machines.

Knut Kujat knuku at gap.upv.es
Fri Apr 30 18:26:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

We 64 identical machines here for now I only tried to boot coreboot on
11 of them where 4 of them got this early hang.
I switched the bootstrap processor from a machine that fails and put it
into one that always boots with coreboot, now the machine which was
failing before now boots perfectly and the other fails. Conclusion: Its
the CPU!!

All machines here came with the B2 revision of the Opteron 8350 which
has this weird TLB failure but we also have B3 revision processors here,
so I installed a newer one and coreboot refuses to boot as well! :(

So the question is what could possibly be the difference between an
Opteron 8350 B2 and another Opteron 8350 B2?
 I started to dump registers, and I'm not done yet, but so far they are
all identical.

Ward Vandewege escribió:
> Hi Knut,
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:29:59AM +0200, Knut Kujat wrote:
>
>> I now know that I'm  having the same trouble Ward had with his h8dme board:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/coreboot@coreboot.org/msg20923.html
>>
>> Could anyone tell if and how he solved his problem?
>>

> I have not. Unfortunately, I have had very little time for coreboot in the
> past few months, but I do still need fam10 support for h8dme - we have bunch
> of those machines that I need to upgrade to coreboot.
>
> It's odd that you are seeing this only on some machines. I only have one
> h8dme test box; the others are in production. I have this problem 100% of the
> time on my test box. Perhaps figuring out why the problem occurs on only some
> of your machines would give a clue as to what could be going wrong?
>
> Does it consistently happen on the machines where you see the hangs? And
> never on the others? And the hardware is identical?

I have machines which boot with coreboot but after 4-5 tries (and when
not booting they hang at the same spot), then I have machines that boots
without any problem and directly and others which don't even after 20
and more restarts (switching machine off and on again).
> Thanks,
> Ward.

Btw, thanks to your work on the h8dmr-fam10 I was able to even boot my
machines, thanks for that! :)

Bye!