[coreboot] Doubts about necessity of propietary parts in the firmware

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Sat Apr 17 18:45:51 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:18:50AM +0800, Qing Pei Wang wrote:

> the 780 mainboard which coreboot support now is mahogany. I am trying to
> porting a few more
> mainboard as GSOC project. the mainboard i choose at this moment is
> 1)Shine,2)Tilapia,3)Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H,4)ASUS M4A78-VM 5)Colorful
> C.A780G X5.
> i am aslo checking if i can order an Jetway PA78VM5-H which Scott have much
> interests. You can
> choose one of them or the other 780 mainboard.

Thank you very much. I found the
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
at
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2758&ProductName=GA-MA78GM-S2H
(max 16 Gb RAM)

ASUS M4A78-VM
at
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=daNjn5iQIh14MVvN
(max 8Gb RAM)

Jetway PA78VM5-H at
http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/spec/PA78VM5-H.pdf
But its maximum RAM seems to be 4Gb, and I'd like something more

and
Colorful C.A780G X5
http://en.colorful.cn/Product/Specific.aspx?GUID=445638f9-8ec4-423b-8c00-4f0b812b991e
I can't find how much RAM can it hold (the picture shows 4 slots)
It has 2x8 Mb Rom chips, maybe socketed (by the picture, I didn't find any manual)

But I didn't find any mainboard by the name Shine or Tilapia, do you have any reference?

> most of the bios with public mainbard are soldered, but you can also use
> flashrom
> or external programmer which has test clip. take this as an example
> http://www.dediprog.com/SPI-flash-in-circuit-programming/ISP-Testclip-SO8

Ok, thank you very much.
I'll try to use flashrom and buy the programmer + clip when I brick it.