[coreboot] password

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Fri Apr 9 12:45:00 CEST 2010

Hi Ron,

Thinkpads has special EEPROM for password 24RF08

http://www.allservice.ro/store/utils/index.htm

Hook it and use that software to read it. I think it is stored as scan codes.

WARNING! this eeprom has hardware bug! Avoid ANY "write short" transactions. All
transactions which just sends  Start cond, addr and R/W, Stop cond will not
work! There is a bug in state machine which causes to ignore the stop conditions
making the further probing as chip writes. The BIOS is very very pissed off if
the EEPROM is corrupted.

Cleaning the eeprom is not enough because it sets the HDD password! Carefull
with that!

Check also:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Maintenance
recovering bios passwords

For X300 above is also true, I think you can check the testpoints
http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52
http://www.allservice.ro/forum/images/x300.jpg

Good luck,

Rudolf