[coreboot] Coreboot on ARM? (was: Re: Coreboot or UEFI, who will be the winner.)

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Tue Sep 29 17:14:36 CEST 2009

Sander wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but there is no Coreboot for ARM based hardware
> AFAICS?
>
> On the OpenMoko Freerunner one boots with 'u-boot'. U-boot is a
> bootloader, and as such not comparable with Coreboot I think. Does ARM
> have BIOS firmware at all? I've googled but failed to find the answer.

Das U-Boot is directly comparable to coreboot.  U-Boot is almost always
used on non-x86 architectures, but it does a similar sort of hardware
initialization on those architectures that coreboot does on x86
architectures.  U-Boot does not have a payload structure like coreboot,
but U-Boot can load executables (usually an operating system) and U-Boot
scripts.  U-Boot has a TCP/IP stack and USB stack, a system of drivers,
maintains a non-volatile set of environment variables, etc.  It is a
reasonably well designed system that is more often than not used as a
bootloader with full boot device initialization for non-x86
architectures.

I suggest that coreboot designers look at how U-Boot is designed, and
conversely U-Boot designers look at how coreboot is designed.  I know
that some have already done this.  Perhaps both projects have done some
things better than the other and can share ideas and even higher level
architecture independent code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_U-Boot

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs