[coreboot] Coreboot on ARM? (was: Re: Coreboot or UEFI, who will be the winner.)

Sander sander at humilis.net
Tue Sep 29 11:24:56 CEST 2009

Hello Ron,

ron minnich wrote (ao):
> There's more and more interest in the last two years in coreboot.
> Customers really want it.
>
> It's just that PC vendors are worried about providing it for some reason.
>
> PC vendors need to be careful, they're building closed ecosystems now
> around the PC platform. It's quite amazing how much more closed the PC
> platform is than it was in 1994 or even 1999.
>
> Closed ecosystems die.
>
> Here at linuxcon and other recent conferences, all the real innovation
> and cool stuff is ARM-based. PCs are those big, expensive, hot, closed
> things that you're not allowed to hack. Really wonderful stuff being
> done on OMAP 35.

Pardon my ignorance, but there is no Coreboot for ARM based hardware
AFAICS?

On the OpenMoko Freerunner one boots with 'u-boot'. U-boot is a
bootloader, and as such not comparable with Coreboot I think. Does ARM
have BIOS firmware at all? I've googled but failed to find the answer.

Please feel free to ignore me is this is too off topic.

	Sander

--
Humilis IT Services and Solutions
http://www.humilis.net