[coreboot] CBFS searches in Coreboot and SeaBIOS

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 07:16:54 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Given that ages ago my proposal to add caching for LAR entries was
> rejected (and I don't think positions have changed since then), LAR/CBFS
> walking will stay somewhat expensive.

We have about 4 entries in the typical CBFS. I just don't see how the
price of walking it can be a major item. It used to be until I created
the "giant empty space" file. Now, walking a whole LAR can be done in
short order. I'm happy to time it but I bet uncached it's still far
less than one millisecond.

We should always cache ROM and, if we are not, then, we should.

I guess I am not sure this is a huge problem.

ron