[coreboot] Coreboot or UEFI, who will be the winner.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 23 15:54:47 CEST 2009

On 23.09.2009 15:29, Zheng Bao wrote:
> I got a brief UEFI introduction. It seems that it is pretty close to coreboot.
>
> They have same goal and face same problem. Any idea?

I think there are quite some differences which make coreboot the better
solution:
- The lowlevel parts of UEFI are closed source.
- UEFI is bigger/bloated.
- UEFI stays resident in memory.
- UEFI has to provide network/disk/video drivers which can/should be
used by the OS.

And if someone really wants EFI functionality, it is possible to run
UEFI as a coreboot payload. Besides that, if you want a completely
opensource firmware with UEFI, you have to use coreboot+UEFI because the
chipset/CPU init in UEFI is not open source.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/