[coreboot] BIOS POST codes monitoring in real time from other computer

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Sep 17 21:49:14 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 17.09.2009 21:13, Antonio Expósito wrote:
> I know that almost every BIOS sends them to the ISA I/O address 0080h, but,
> how can I get that codes using another computer? I mean,  without POST
> ISA/PCI card, using another computer connected to it via SMBUS, LPC or
> serial?

There are some POST cards which convert the POST codes to serial, but
they are really expensive (>50 EUR).

> Is there any way to convert LPC to serial and monitor that port?

You can convert LPC to usb-serial (a virtual serial device which appears
once you plug in the USB side into the monitoring computer) with the
Artec FlexyIce (formerly known as the Artec Dongle). The FlexyIce is
also usable as LPC/FWH ROM emulator and ideal for firmware/coreboot
development.

> Could be easy to redirect BIOS POST codes to a serial port using a coreboot
> implementation?

If you have coreboot, you don't need POST codes because you get detailed
messages (similar to Linux kernel messages) from coreboot on the serial
port.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--