[coreboot] [RFC] Drop PowerPC port

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 13 21:47:09 CEST 2009

On 10.09.2009 09:12, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> in the progress of restructuring coreboot to work with CBFS, Kconfig and
> other new features, we basically broke the PowerPC boards. Since none of
> us has any of the supported hardware available for testing, and there is
> no real reason to use coreboot on PowerPC processors (there are fine
> bootloaders, like u-boot), we have been discussing to drop the PowerPC
> port completely if nobody is willing to step up and revive it.

I remember some people talking about MIPS64 support for coreboot, and
having _working_ PowerPC support in coreboot might help us to keep the
general coreboot design mostly architecture-independent. However, since
PowerPC support is essentially untestable without supported hardware, we
don't even know if it is (or was) broken and thus it serves no purpose
except holding development back.

Drop it unless someone has the hardware and the skills to at least keep
PowerPC support working with some help from others. In case someone
magically appears, we can still dig up the old code from svn.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/