[coreboot] Geode GX1 with VGA-enabled payload?

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 23:01:42 CEST 2009

Hi,
I am trying to remind myself what I need (or if it's even possible) to use a payload that makes use of VGA on a Geode GX1/CS5530 system.  I'd like to have a bootloader payload that uses VGA instead of serial, if possible.

Now, I've got VGA enabled in the coreboot image I'm currently using, and I get the coreboot logo splash screen, but I'm still using a payload configured for COM1.  Aside from changing payloads to one that uses VGA and PS/2 devices, what else is required?  Am I required to have a VGA BIOS?  I'm guessing that I am.  Can someone confirm that that's what I need?  If so, I remember seeing the tutorial somewhere on extracting the VGA BIOS and incorporating it in coreboot.  Though, if someone has an up-to-date recipe for this, that'd be even better!

thanks,
Jonathan