[coreboot] BIOS RAM in AMD SB7XX southbridges ?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Oct 28 00:53:52 CET 2009

On 27.10.2009 14:06, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> What is the BIOS RAM in AMD SB7XX used for?
>
> Is it to buffer the BIOS contents from SPI flash chip prior to
> execution of the very first instruction?

No.

> I recall that it's impossible to execute code directly in an SPI chip.

Yes, but the chipset takes care of the SPI command interface and
presents the contents of the SPI chip nicely memory mapped to the CPU,
so the CPU can execute the ROM contents directly.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
Developer quote of the week:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."