[coreboot] libpayload: OHCI stack

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Oct 5 10:56:07 CEST 2009

On 05.10.2009 10:45, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:30:39AM +0200, Patrick Georgi wrote:
>
>> If so, I'd assume that's the primary user of USB functionality in
>> libpayload, and we could stuff the OHCI code there - but using the
>> libpayload interfaces, so the code changes were really small (basically,
>> changes to the build system)
>>
>> That way, libpayload stays "pure", while this can still be used where it
>> doesn't trouble anyone.
>>

> Following the recent discussion about USB keyboard support in SeaBIOS I
> thought putting everything which all payloads share is the right thing
> to do, no? Wouldn't we end up having clones of that stack appearing in
> other payloads if we don't put it in a common place?

Yes. The reason we had Leandro Dorileo write that thing from scratch was
to get a BSD licensed USB stack. Otherwise we'd just have merged/adapted
the USB stack from U-Boot or Linux. It's unfortunate that this piece of
information never reached you.

>> One other option would be to have a libpayload-gpl library, but that
>> would really take it too far, I think, as library users would have to
>> collect the bits from various places.
>>

> buildrom could do that automagically, though. But I'm unsure, too. I'd
> really like to leave that up to you to pack the stack to a place which
> seems appropriate. I just don't to get it lost, it was too much work for
> that ;)

Definitely. We don't want to throw away useful code. Now we just have to
figure out a way to use it in a way which still keeps libpayload BSD
licensed.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--